Welcome to the OHDS Parent Association
Oakland Hebrew Day School has a dynamic Parent Association whose purpose is to create a positive school community. In addition to our parent chairs, we have many volunteers – parents, grandparents and friends – who enrich our children’s school experience and support our faculty and staff in meaningful ways.
Each year, parents contribute a nominal amount to our Parent Association, which allows them to offer a variety of programs.
- Spaghetti Lunches: Four times during the school year, parents come together to cook and serve a delicious spaghetti lunch for all our students, faculty and staff, who enjoy a “trattoria-style” atmosphere while schmoozing with parents and friends. This event is always a big success and anticipated with much excitement by the students. It is an important way in which we role model the value of community and chesed.
- Teacher Appreciation: Gratitude is an important character trait (middah) at OHDS! Our dedicated teachers work hard during the year to bring our students the most engaging and meaningful educational experiences, from the moment they walk into school in the mornings. Our Parent Association provides ongoing gestures and small gifts of thanks to faculty during the year, culminating in Teacher Appreciation Week in May.
- Parent Education: Our Parent Education topics range from managing stress in children to positive parenting techniques and helping children to assert themselves. Our speakers include our own faculty, parents and community members with specialized areas of knowledge, and outside speakers and organizations such as KidPower.
- Social events: OHDS values family connection, so that both you and your child feel part of our welcoming and diverse community. Our Parent Association coordinates many different social opportunities during the year, from fun parent socials without the kids to relaxed family hikes and picnics.
- Holiday gifts: Building community spirit, especially around the Jewish holidays, is an important part of the OHDS experience. Our Holiday Gifts chair coordinates small gifts for students and faculty to help everyone get into the holiday spirit.
If you would like to find out more, please contact Philippa Lichterman, Admissions Director at firstname.lastname@example.org.