Welcome to Oakland Hebrew Day School! From Berkeley to Oakland, Contra Costa County to San Francisco, and everywhere in-between, OHDS is a destination for families seeking an unparalleled Jewish educational experience.
OHDS families span the spectrum of affiliation and observance. We are an inclusive community that prides itself on making every Jewish family feel welcome. The quilt of our community is woven with tradition, heritage and a common goal to provide our students with a superior Jewish day school education.
To schedule a tour, please click here.
- Admissions application: Please submit an application online. This form should be signed by each parent/guardian. Each application requires a $75 application fee.
- Birth certificate/passport: Please attach a copy to your ParentLocker account when you submit an admissions application or email a copy to to our Admissions Director, Philippa Lichterman: email@example.com.
- Immunization record: Please attach a copy to your ParentLocker account when you submit an admissions application or email a copy to to our Admissions Director, Philippa Lichterman: firstname.lastname@example.org. All immunizations must be up-to-date for admission to OHDS.
- Teacher Reference Form: We will contact your child's current school to complete and submit a Teacher Reference Form. If you are applying to Grades 1-8, please ask your child's current school to send us a copy of transcripts from the last two academic years.
After you’ve submitted your documents, we will contact you to schedule an assessment and observation.
- Kindergarten Observation and Assessment: The Kindergarten Observation and Assessment usually takes place on a Sunday morning in February. Your child will be invited for a playgroup observation and assessment. If your child’s application is submitted after the deadline, an individual assessment may be scheduled as well as a visit to observe your child in his/her current school environment.
- Bridge Kindergarten Observation: The admissions office will arrange with your child’s preschool or daycare to visit, so we can observe your child in a familiar environment. If your child is not in a preschool or daycare, we will arrange to visit him/her at home.
- Grades 1-8 School Visit and Assessment: The admissions office will schedule a time to have your child visit OHDS for the day (half day for 1st Grade applicants). During your child’s visit s/he will shadow a fellow student and meet with a member of the faculty for an assessment.
Please note that during COVID-19 restrictions, we will not conduct on-site observations and assessments. Instead, the admissions director will schedule an online video meeting with each family to help us create a rapport with your child and get to know them a little better. This may include an online assessment. For students in grades 1-8, the admissions director will work with your family to coordinate an opportunity for you and your child to gain a deeper sense of our program.
We are committed to making the admissions application process as smooth for you as possible. Please don't hesitate to reach out to us with any questions at 510-531-8600 or email@example.com.
Our admissions timeline is outlined below.
January 15, 2021
All documentation and required forms are due, after which assessments will be scheduled.
March 12, 2021
Decision letters are emailed to parents who have completed the application requirements.
March 19, 2021
Signed contracts are due back with deposit.
If you requested an evaluation of your Flexible Tuition, the adjusted tuition amount will be attached as an addendum to the contract and a deposit will be due with the contract on March 19.
Applications for both Admissions and Flexible Tuition are accepted on a space available basis post-deadline. Late applications are processed in a timely fashion, to the best of the school’s ability.
OHDS does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, disability, or age in its programs and activities. The following person has been designated to handle inquiries regarding the non-discrimination policies: Tamara Leider, Operations Director / Title IX Coordinator, 5500 Redwood Road, Oakland, CA 94619, 510-531-8600, firstname.lastname@example.org.